Thursday, July 21, 2011

Archive: good first day out in 2008 07-01-2008

so back in late March Dr. tells me 'no more kayaking' I held off til now ...I couldn't take it any longer.

After debating selling my yak this past week, with my wifes encouragement, I went out! I wasn't prepared tho, I forgot some stuff, some stuff wasn't working the best after 8 months of outdoor sub-zero storage.. but all in all it was a fantastic trip, the weather was perfect, the lake quiet, despite a bass tourney going on.

I forgot one of my rods so since I had my heavy rod I started out targetting Muskey in unfamiliar territory, my local lake, but at a new launch point. I wasted a couple hours before I moved to the other side of the lake and rigged for plastic. I got action right away with the plastic, landed about half a dozen LMBs, first LMBs I've caught from the yak, and a couple aggressive decent sized rock bass (8" twister tail). This was a great trip, because I've hardly caught a thing on this lake til now.

First cast with the plastic I got this guy, got a few more similar;


Further down the bank I landed this guy, at first I thought I'd hooked a small muskey, he put up a great fight with a couple trips under the yak, eventually he pulled me into the grassy bank. He passed the 18" mark and he was fat, the angle of the pic doesn't do this guy justice (must build camera rig!), his tail is in the footwell, and his girth is as big around as the knee beside him.


Here's another typical;


Hopefully a little physio will keep me fishing, I can't wait to go back out, my best kayak outing yet, bonus that it's local.

good to be back.

YakDreams

No comments:

Post a Comment