Thursday, July 21, 2011

Fishing the Kawarthas, Hot Weather, Not so Hot Fishing

The fishing was probably OK, however I was messing around trying some stuff while my poor wife just couldn't even get a bite.

It was over 30 degrees when we headed out, we immediately saw fish feeding top water so started out fishing some sheltered weedy bays with topwater lures.

My wife had a new rod, her fish finder installed and a new net, unfortunately she didn't get any results with all this new gear.

I started out with a small popper and only got a couple small boils before I decided to give my fly rod a try. If their is one thing I've learned aobut fly fishing from a yak, you want minimal gear and a clear deck to cast from. I didn't last long as I had all my regular rigging plus a couple spinning rods, a few tangles and minimal bites and I decided to give up and try another day without all my other junk. I switched to a texas rigged Senko and hooked into something decent right away on the first cast, almost as soon as the fight began it ended with a break off, it could have been a small muskie.

I then switched up to one of my home made jigs and started fishing a weed flat, after 10 minutes not even a tap, it likely didn't help that my jig had too much body for the size of the head and didn't have sufficient action. I worked it for another 20 minutes or so before switching to a large popper as I approached a weed flat that had delivered in the past. This is a big flat and I fished it for quite a while and didn't get any results. A few times I switched back to the jig, again with no results.

It was time to go but I wasn't ready to give up, I told my wife that I just wanted to try a bay on the way out with a wacky worm. A few casts later I was into a nice bass. I pulled in this nice 17" largemouth. It put up a great little fight and took some drag. It was fat too, had a nice pot belly.



After this fish I had a few more on over a short 20 minutes or so, but I'm not too efficient with the circle hook and just couldn't keep them on the end of the line. In-fact I think I found a colour and technique that may have made the night a very successful one if we'd tried it sooner, oh well, live and learn.

Next time!

YakDreams

No comments:

Post a Comment