Friday, July 22, 2011

Making My Own Flies and Bucktails

After several years of having a tying kit on my Christmas and birthday list I finally got a kit for my birthday this June.

I tried a homemade concoction just for kicks to get my hands dirty when I first got the kit  ...well I'm pretty ashamed of how it turned out so no pics, however I will fish it just to say it wasn't a complete waste of time.

I'm still trying to get the hang of whip finishing. It's one of those things that I bet is much easier than it looks, I likely need to put the helper tool down and just use my fingers, but then again my eyesight sucks these days so it may not help.

After the first disaster I decided to warm up with some bucktails. I had some 1/8 oz jig heads kicking around so I got to work trying to mimic some successful patterns that I'd fished on my local lakes. I was pleased with how they looked however after fishing them it turns out I had too much bulk in the body and the action was all wrong, I have to trim these puppies down. I made one with synthetic fibres just to see how it compares.

I also made a couple clousers, one in a leach pattern similar to the bucktail colours that seem to work around here and another in a true baitfish pattern, again in popular local colours. I haven't had a chance to try these, I hopefully will soon.

Here they are before I trim them down;


No comments:

Post a Comment